Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Lucky Country

I've been checking the boards over at P Support and at PHO over the last couple of days. Seeing all the posts makes me realise how lucky I am to live here in Australia that I don't have to worry so much about health insurance and paying through the nose for my medications.
I am thankful that I have a pension card which allows me to get cheaper medications through the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and that if I want to I can get the cheaper generic brand at the chemist provided that there is a cheaper options. Some medications don't have a generic equivalent.

There is one thing I would really like to do, and probably need to do, is go and see a dermatologist. It's just that they are way too expensive to see a lot. Being on a limited income makes it rather awkward to see any specialist doctor, especially since I also take my boys to see a paediatrician on a regular basis. I know I can hear some of you thinking 'HEY what about your needs' but I know those of you that are Mums will understand that we often put our children first long before we think of ourselves. And that is the case with me. I ALWAYS think of everyone else before I think of myself. Perhaps I should stop that for a short time but that isn't in my nature to.

Last time I asked my GP for a referral to a Derm he said straight out that it costs A LOT but he wrote the referral anyway. That was almost 4 years ago. I know my GP will help me in any way possible but he wont prescribe anything NEW. Well last time I asked him he wouldn't, however, perhaps things may have changed. So I'll at least ask. After all what is the worst he can say?? No??

No comments: