All of these questions run though your mind when you have psoriasis on your scalp. In fact just thinking about this makes my head itchy!
I used to even wish that I only had psoriasis on my scalp. At least that way no one could see it. It was horrible to have people staring at me while I was in the supermarket or just out at the shops. I would cover up as much of my skin as possible, hiding it in shame. I don't think that way any more. I could care less if people saw my red & angry skin. If the mood struck I would use it as a reason to educate people. If my boys were with me they would stick up for me telling people its rude to stare. Brodie gets really defensive if people stare at my skin. I tell him not to worry about it, although I can see that it still bothers him.Anyway I was talking about scalp P. Apart from seeing your G.P. or dermatologist there are a few over the counter things you can use that may help you.
- You can soften the scales with warm water & warm oils (like olive oil).
- You can use a fine tooth comb to gently lift the flakes off. Try not to break the skin as it can lead to infections or it may even cause your hair to break off at the scalp.
- Use over the counter shampoos with tar or oatmeal bases. They can help reduce flaking & itching.
- Use an anti-dandruff shampoo. Sometimes that helps reduce the flakes.
- Limit the use of hair dryers, hair straighteners etc as they may dry the scalp out more.
- For quick relief press a damp cloth on your scalp where its itchy.
If you have any tips that you use that work for your scalp I would love to hear them.
2 comments:
I was tired of scratching and horrible flaking from scalp psoriasis. I tried medicated shampoos and all the home remedies people suggested. Someone suggested sweet olive oil and another suggested oregano oil so I combined them and all it did was make my hair greasy. I found something that got rid of 95% of the problem. I take my showers at night to alleviate fights for the shower and hot water. My old routine was to wet my hair in the tub, soap up with the medicated shampoo, brush my teeth while it set for the required 5 minutes the jump in the shower to rinse off and finish showering. One night I was too tired to do the whole routine so I just jumped in and used my regular shampoo that has the hated sodium laurel sulfate they say to avoid, followed by squirting my scalp with vinegar and brief rub, apply conditioner, finish soaping the body while the conditioner and vinegar sets, and a finish rinse all over.
I didn’t like the vinegar smell so I soaked orange peels in the vinegar for a week before using. I poured into an old scalpacin bottle (not that it worked that well).
When I got out I used another mixture to prevent scratching. In another old scalpacin bottle I mixed:
Water (filled half way)
1.to 2 inch long squirt of hydrocortisone cream (for itching and moisture)
4 squirt of cetaphil lotion (for moisture)
About 10 drops of campho phenique (anti-itch)
About 10 drops of lavender oil
Shake really well. I squirt some onto my scalp and rub in. brush hair and style.
I have found that within 2 weeks 95% of my buildup, scratching, and frustration were gone, this with only washing my hair every other day.
I hope this helps you too.
Thanks for the info Derrick & Dawn. I'm not too sure how readily available campho phenique is in Australia but I'll have a look for it.
I'm glad that you found something that helps you.
Post a Comment