Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Treating Your Psoriasis By Changing Your Diet

Do you think that changing what you eat could help your psoriasis? It's a question that is often asked by a lot of people on various forums. Would altering what you eat really make that much difference? I have no idea if it would or not but it may be worth a try.

Perhaps it might be an idea to keep a food diary. In your diary you could list what you ate & how it affected your skin. I'm not sure how accurate it would be in isolating what might trigger a flare. You may have to eat the same thing several times to make sure the food really does make a difference.

Some people swear that going gluten & yeast free helps them tremendously. Perhaps following a gluten free diet may help. I have not gone totally gluten free. I like my bread way too much for that but I have switched to wholegrain & wholemeal breads. I don't know if it has made a difference yet or not but it sure does taste nice.

Being alcohol free also will help. I'm not a drinker so I cannot compare what its like to have a flare up from drinking alcohol. There are many P sufferers out there who swear that giving up drinking has helped them. Plus a lot of health websites recommend being alcohol free when it comes to psoriasis. So it must be a good thing to give it up.

Fatty red meat & dairy foods often cause inflammation. So avoiding foods that may induce that would be a good thing to give up. Plus we know for many other reasons that too much fatty food is not good for you as far as clogging up your arteries by increasing cholesterol levels & blood pressure. Avoiding heart disease is always a plus in my books especially since high blood pressure runs in the family.

Eating a lot of fresh fruits & vegetables would be a good way to help improve your skin. Colourful vegetables are believed to be loaded with antioxidants. Which is something that we are told is very helpful to us in maintaining out health.

I switched to a Low GI diet about a month ago. I don't know if it has helped much as my psoriasis is coming back. I do know that I generally feel better than I did since switching. And eating Low GI foods hasn't been all that much of a change for us as a family. We were pretty much doing that anyway without realising it. We just eat a little bit more healthily these days.

If you do keep a food diary please let me know how you went. I would love to know what foods irritated your skin.

3 comments:

Gluten Free Sourdough Baker said...

HI,
I'm reading your blog with great interest. I can see that you and your family are working hard with your health challenges. I want to say that I was very ill for a long time with many symptoms and not until I changed my diet and gradually added traditionally prepared foods did I see some real progress. Now, after 17 years, I feel like a normal healthy woman.

I want to recommend the Weston A. Price Foundation to you. There is a big chapter in Australia. www.westonapricefoundation.org

They teach a traditional way of preparing and using food that helps the immune system get back on track.

I am connected to them in that I have used their teachings to create a gluten-free sourdough bread that is easy on the body, highly nutritious and tastes great. It also has a long shelf life.

Not sure if you are able to do much cooking for your busy family but if you are interested in my bread I offer a free recipe download of the starter:
http://www.sanctuary-healing.com/food-recipes.html

I also recommend the book "The Detox Solution" by Patricia Fitzgerald. She talks about how the immune system gets stressed and how to help it recover. It helped me tremendously.

Good luck and Good Health to you and your family,
sharon
glutenfreesourdough.blogspot.com
www.food-medicine.com

Jo-anne Blossy said...

Thank you Sharon. I'll certainly check it out.

Megan @ MAID in Alaska said...

I have psoriasis/psoriatic arthritis and have had HUGE success controlling the disease with my diet. I blog about my disease - and post my recipes at http://maidinak.blogspot.com/.
:) Megan