Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Finally!

After waiting 4 weeks to get in to see my dermatologist I finally was able to see him last week. Yet another SHORT visit for a rather LARGE amount of money.

When I told my derm that my psoriasis was coming back he of course wanted to take a look. I hate having to flash my skin at the best of times but he had to see how much of my P had come back. I think he was a little surprised that his latest concoction (coal tar based goop in vaseline or some such thing) wasn't working as well as he had hoped. To be honest the only thing it was good for was making the flakes really soft so that they could be picked off. Not that I condone picking it but it sure did make my skin feel less itchy ones the flakes were gone.

I asked if it were possible to go back to the lotions I was using earlier in the year. They were at least working. Not as well or as quickly as I had expected but they were at least working. Thank goodness he actually listened to me and said okay. I also mentioned that the Chemist said that the stronger the potion the more the ingredients separated from each other and my derm said he had wondered about that. So we agreed that I would use the LPC at 25% rather than the 30 he had used once before. I was a little disappointed when he said that he would exclude the salicylic acid from the preparation. I found that was extremely useful in smoothing out the skin. The derm seemed to think that it might be annoying my skin. Maybe it was. He's the expert so I'll go with the flow for now.

Armed with a new script for yet another potion I headed off to the Chemist. I am so glad that the people there know me so well (I've been going there for years) & that they are very accommodating when it comes to making up these lotions & potions. It also helps to tell them that I will be coming back the next afternoon to give them anywhere up to 36-48 hours to get it ready.

I've been using the new lotion twice a day since Friday night. I can't believe the difference its made already. My P is less flaky. Its wonderful! Finally something is working again.

I go back to see the derm next week on Wednesday. I wonder what his reaction will be this time.

Before I forget, once again we have reached the PBS Safety Net & we are now on free prescriptions until the end of the year. Which means we have spent more than $324 on scripts since the beginning of the year. I know that amount of money may not sound like a lot to some people for prescriptions (I know there are some who pay hundreds of $$ for just one script) but it's a lot when you are on a set (low) income.

No comments: