Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

Nail Psoriasis

I've had psoriasis in my fingernails since I was 15 years old (just a few years ago I might add :P - although my boys will tell you otherwise). The dermatologist I saw in my 20's said that there wasn't anything that could be done to help with the nail P. So I learnt to live with it.

There were many a time when I used to 'hide' my nails under nail polish to make them appear normal at least from a distance but nothing would EVER get rid of the pitting or the lifting up from the nail bed. In fact I noticed after a while that if I didn't wear nail polish that my nails would sometimes grow 'smoother' and less pitted.

Over the past few years, since I moved to Victoria, I noticed that my nails only began looking worse over the summer months and that come autumn they started to look smooth again. A coincidence perhaps? I have no idea but so far this summer my routine has not changed. My nails look bad in my book. You can decide from the photo that my baby took for me. Have you ever tried taking a photo of your own hands? I found it difficult as the pics ended up really blurry.

I am finding it really awkward with the nails lifting from the nail bed at the moment. I knock them on all sorts of things when they are in this condition and it can be very painful. My only tip is to keep them trimmed so that it is less likely to happen.

I'm crossing my fingers that once autumn/winter comes along my nails will begin to be 'normal' again.

2 comments:

Me, Myself and I... said...

Its very hard to take pics of your hands indeed! I try to put my one hand on something firm and take like 20 pics then find the one least blurry lol

Jo-anne Blossy said...

It certainly is hard to take pics of your hands. I'm just glad that Mr 13 was home & was able to take them.