Pages

Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Blues

As I was putting my lotions and potions on last night I had a case of the P blues! I Gosh I am so tired of using all the tubes of creams and not seeing much of a difference in my skin. Sometimes it seems so pointless to keep on going with all of this. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to cry. Which is the last thing I really wanted to do. Gosh 31 years is a long time ... ... at least this morning I feel a lot better.

When I was kid, around 8 or 9, I remember some of the things Mum used to do for me. I remember her having to put this awful smelly, slimy stuff on my skin and then wrapping me in plastic, just my arms & legs. I vaguely remember joking about it saying I was "Plastic Girl" like a super hero or something. Perhaps it was my way of coping with it back then. To be honest I don't remember a lot about my childhood where my P is concerned. Maybe that's a good thing.
I also remember having those horrible smelly tar baths. My niece (she's four years younger than me), Kylie, used to sleep over every Friday night when her Mum went out and she would get upset with Nanna (my Mum) saying how she hated getting into that bath with all the yukky water.

My sister, Julie, told me a few years ago something that I had completely forgotten about as a child. I was sent home from school shortly after 'getting' P. The school stated that they did NOT want me there because other children might get 'IT'. Apparently I cried my eyes out when they sent me home because I just wanted to be at school with my friends. In some ways I am glad that I didn't recall this or it may have changed how much I loved school. Julie then told me my Dad marched up to the school and told them off!! Stating how ridiculous they were and that P is not contagious, that it was not school sores & that they had better stop this nonsense and let me come back to school!!
I LOVE my Dad .. he IS my hero!!

Gosh even thinking about this right now makes me want to cry. To think if I had remembered this I may have lost my love of school and maybe I wouldn't have wanted to become a teacher. But then again maybe I would have .. If only to change the public perception that P has.

No comments: